About Me

My photo
yo i'm Joe, love my games, love my warhammer, my anime, and all the great people in my life - find my stuff here

Friday 8 October 2010

PSD: Logos Research

In our last PSD lesson the class looked a logos involving "equality and diversity" and each took the same logo off the internet and used photoshop and its various tools (e.g. a new one for me was the "pen" tool, was very useful and let me essencially copy the image as my own). everyone in the class then edited the image individually to give it a different look: below are the orginal image and my own inturpritation:

***
Have to upload my own images later, forgot to save a jpeg file :S

***

There are thousands of popular logos worldwide, use in all the worlds industires (see large image below)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/172320206_6afd460270.jpg


















However since this is a games development course, i'm will upload examples of 2 of the more popular logos in gaming; explain why they are good/bad and show an image for each.

1.EA
http://www.blogcdn.com/news.bigdownload.com/media/2009/08/ea_logos_landscape_smalljuly7.jpg

Despite all the bad things about EA, it has to be said they are one of the biggest and well known gaming publishers (3rd party) around, they started off with a simple black and grey logo (black background, silver "EA") which is easily recognizable, but one of the best things about EA and there logo (as you can seee in the image below) they have adapted it to numerous titles and audiences, each with its own design and colours ranging across the gaming market, the same design simple altered each time.
2. Xbox 360 logo
http://www.electricsistahood.com/images/ever/xbox360_logo.jpg

One of the "big three" in the gaming industry today, microsoft has incorperated a simple, but effective logo that is a simple sphere, coloured green and silver, and althought it at first seems pretty simple, the colours and the "shine" are memorable and recognizable and out of the "big 3" (microsoft, nintendo and sony) i think microsoft has made the best logo, nintendos is just the word nintendo coloured red with a border, and sonys playstation network logo is a sphere with the four controller buttons overlaying it (in a graffiti like style) it is much betetr than nintendos but feels less attractive to the eye than microsofts i think (but thats just my opinion)

2 comments: