About Me

My photo
yo i'm Joe, love my games, love my warhammer, my anime, and all the great people in my life - find my stuff here

Thursday 22 September 2011

Year 2 - Starting project, logos and a name

Heya folks - i'm back, and straight back on the work load starting with getting into organised groups and then within those groups coming up with a name and a logo. Each individual came up with several ideas and then drew some ideas as to what each logo would look like. Below are photos of some of my logos and annotations. (I will link the final photoshop version in a different post - these PCs dont have photoshop so i cant get those images on the blog).

My 1st idea for a company name was "Arcaic Fleet" which I think indicates something old and powerful (arcaic) and then unity and on-going (fleet).

The first few ideas involved around using a mystic style font and just having the name wraped around itself or just underneath itself, my ideas then moved onto something more visual - using the "fleet" and putting a ship into the logo - 2 of which were basically snowglobes and seemed a little too complex for a logo. But my favourite (and groups favourite) was my circular logo that encompasses the ship, arcaic lettering and looks like a logo; it basically contains the entirity of my design philosophy.



The 2nd name was "Navigation" which I believe - like a navigator - would show that a company is leading you somewhere, taking you on a journey. Where this design fell short however was in the logo. I had a couple of ideas, one a map with the name scralled accross it - the other a compass with the words at the bottom of the compass. Whilst both are relatively simpel designs and given the right font and colours for the name could be made into good logos, i simple dont think it would be as striking as many of the game developers I see today - it would either seem too big and clutered or too simple; which works for some companies with just a name and a small symbol for their logo (such as Bluehole studios or Eidos).


Below is my main design for the Arcaic Fleet name (information higher just).


My two original designs for navigation


This is the final name and set of logos - Red Hawk Studios - this one was the most popular with the rest of the group, and out of the 3 had the most common with many modern logos - it was relatively simple (in terms of design and colour - and still being able to stand out). Its name (an animal + a colour) is another simple idea that has worked for various companies and businesses (e.g. Dark Horse Comics).


So after people chose this one i got some feedback - Most saying I should try and incororate the name into the hawk itself - in my next post (about this topic) I will show off the logo designed in photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment