About Me

My photo
yo i'm Joe, love my games, love my warhammer, my anime, and all the great people in my life - find my stuff here

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Evaluation of Final Desktop design

Now I have uploaded my final desktop design and updated it with my own thoughts and some feedback from class mates, this blogspot is an evaluation of my work with several question I have to answer:

***All of my work for this project is accross my blog along with my own paragraphed evaluation*** 

*Does the end product match your original intentions?
    My final product looks very similar to my original design (See images below). It looks nearly exactly the same as my sketch with some minor changes to make it look better; i.e. proportions, shapes and fonts. 


  *Is the end product appropriate for your intended audience?
       Since I was going for such a large audience to begin with (this desktop could be viewed by a wide range of ages) it had to be clean, nothing explit; all appropriate content, which i achieved. There are Sci-Fi and fantasy elements nothing that could offend someone. However some "older" viewers may not appriciate some of the fonts or the Image of the "warrior" to the right.

*Discuss the technical aspects of your work and highlight the strengths / areas to develop
    I have not used photoshop often, I don't know much of the skills, however I think I have made very good use of layers (theres about 20 or so in there separating all my different objects and colours) Also on my character i think i have made basic use of shading, i have used the pen tool, magic wand tool and FX effects such as dropping shadows and beveling my image. The only equiptment i used was the camera to take the picture of my final sketch.
 
*Discuss the content / style of your work
    The overall style is mainly Sci-fi, although the warrior looks more fantasy than "spacey" but with the time limit it works well enough. I found a decent substitute for stars with a brush i found, giving an "aura" or lighting like effect, again could have done more with it. however the final design has stuck with the research and content. e.g. the 2 images below: one is an "aura"/shape and the other is off a character on the right, just some of my inspiration:


*Did you encounter any problems when creating the product? if so how were they resolved?
    One major problem i found was that because I hadnt outlined my final sketch photoshop was having trouble picking up the image; so Mel showed me a way to "push out" or "bolden" the lines in the picture using a setting in photoshop (that neither of us cannot remember, i will experiement to find it).

*What have you learnt from this experience?
    The main thing i have learnt is that photoshop has so much more to offer and it is going to take me a while to learn how to even find most of it; however this project feels like a start.
*What skills have been developed throughtout this process?
    Increased my photoshop skills slightly, and also it has made me take a more serious look on my sketching and concept, which i will now work on.
*Did you meet the deadline?
    Yes, however i think i could have spent longer on it now, rather than panicing. 

*Did you have any problems with time management?
    No i was ahead of the deadline most of the time, i should have left more time to work though.
*If you had the opportunity to make this product again would do anything different? And are you jappy with overall product?
   I would take more time to learn the tools and create a much less clattered concept. Look at more tutorials and examples to help me.

2 comments: