About Me

My photo
yo i'm Joe, love my games, love my warhammer, my anime, and all the great people in my life - find my stuff here

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Finish Storyboard and Evaluation

So after weeks of work, drawing and recolouring and sat twiddling tumbs in in-decisiveness; I've finally put together a storyboard, weither or not its to a quality I would like I will go into below the image, enjoy.

 The Image shows a short story made by me for a character called "muraim" a tiger laguz (tigerperson basically) from the Fire emblem game series. In this series he is a very pasifist-like character, rarely chosing to fight; however in this story I have given him reason too go a little more wild. His best friend Tormod (same series) is fatally ill unless Muraim can get back the medicine that was taken from the city, he crosses the desert to find said medicine and tear down those responsible."


 Overall I'd say I am on track with the target audience, and there is nothing that would place it otherwise ( fantasy violence fits). Im also happy with the overall look and aesthetic of the storyboard, and the themes I have created through various methods in photoshop (which I will get onto further down).

Now lets look more into my actual images and my layout. 
As you can probably tell by the image saying "I must find them" I didn't draw all of these images (2 of them to be precise, although I did attempt a trace of the one in question). However due to my time constraints I just stuck to my plans recolour and adding more clothing to the character so it shows that I am not only changing his personality but his looks. (At the end of the game he is in, he becomes an offical but doesnt get any kind of official uniform so I thought I'd add one). That aside lets look into it:

The backgrounds, some of these images from the game, others just found images, and a few are photos I took myself (mainly of my shed) I used various tools in photoshop to blend them together in an attempt to make them all intergrate seemlessly and look a part of the same image - these tools include: the smudge tool - allowed me to mix up the sand, and move it around builds and characters, the dodge and burn tool - this tool was essential for both backgrounds and characters, it darkens or lightens the area it is used on, for example the windows on the shed were first painted black as to hide its real life contends, I then smudged in some sand and used the brush tool (altered its settings: oppacity and flow, to create a sandstorm effect over areas) which left the windows looking a bit of out place so I burnt the colours a little before dodging the middle of the windows so it looks like they are actual windows not black blocks. I used similar effects on the other backgrounds using the same tools to mix images.

 Characters:
The image below will show how I edited the actual character. (mine left, acutal right)






As you can see on these I have added the cloak and changed some colours and shadows, again with the burn tool and going into the "image" menu in photoshop and changing the pictures hue and colour.


Besides these you can see the Image I drew myself of the character, although I didnt spend as much time on some of them as I would like and the one I took a lot of time on turned out better than I expected but it isn't perfect I've got a lot more to learn about drawing and colouring in photoshop. Image Below:




Through this project I learnt to use more tools in photoshop and gained more experience in drawing, however looking back and if I had chance to do it again there are alot of improvements i would make. First I would make sure that my time is spent more wisely, i.e. less time spent worrying about how drawings are going to look and draw them, especially when they are to be kept simple. Whilst I did learn alot in photoshop there is plenty more to learn and I could have spent more time at home practicing and improving my work. I would also try alot harder to draw all the images myself and the backgrounds rather than finding roundabout ways to do it, however I think I'm a big way off drawing decent environments, so maybe a simpler background next time?
Overall I am quite happy with some of my storyboard. There are certainly parts which need more improving than others and some that I could even then do more for, however for a first go I am quite happy with the ending look.

An example of another professional example of a storyboard (different from those used in my planning would be the image below: one of the Manga comics done by Blizzard Entertainment.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment